People still judge a book by its cover. We all do, whether intentional or not.
The same thing happens day in and day out on your website. It’s a visible representation of your business online. If it’s amateur or outdated, it leaves a bad first impression. It may even leave your audience wondering if your business is trustworthy.
Take this recent study for example: Participants were directed to search Google for health information relevant to them. Afterward, they discussed their first impressions of the sites they had visited.
Now, when searching for health information, what would be top of mind? Wouldn’t it be whether or not you could trust the information? Logically, should the design of the site be a factor in the trustworthiness of its information? Yet, of all the factors mentioned for rejecting or mistrusting a website in this study, 94% were related to design.
So since the design of your website directly impacts its ability to draw people toward your business, is yours due for a redesign?
How Can You Tell?
- Has your business changed recently? When a business changes in significant ways the old website may work against you. Make sure it supports your organizational goals.
- Does your site have a dated look? A site designed in 2004 will not look current in 2014, and this leads to visitors rejecting or mistrusting your website. They’ll spend less time on your site and you’ll acquire fewer customers.
- Is your site navigation fast and intuitive? Good navigation means that information is clear and easy to get to, nothing is deeply rooted or hidden, and pages are accessible for the search engines. If your site navigation frustrates your visitors, they won’t stick around long enough to become customers.
- Can you easily update content on your website without having to call your web designer? Not all that long ago, the majority of websites were static HTML sites. Your options were to learn HTML, buy expensive software, or rely completely on your web designer. But those days are long gone for anyone who’s switched over to using WordPress as the foundation of their website.
- Can you browse the site efficiently on a mobile device or tablet? You may be able to see your full website on your smart phone, but navigating it could be a nightmare. Current web design incorporates either a responsive design or a separate mobile website that shares only the highlights applicable to a mobile user – not every single page or image from your full site.
- Do the images positively portray your brand – or are they pixelated, not sized quite right, or in other ways not quite professional? With the default camera installed on your smart phone, you’ll be able to take high resolution images unique to your website. Or you can find quality stock photos on sites such as iStockphoto or Bigstock, and tweak them using Canva to produce unique images.
- Does the home page of your website clearly communicate what you do? The most important information needs to be displayed right up front. Although your home page welcomes visitors, the text should not read ‘Welcome to Our Website.’ Think it through … what is the most important thing you want visitors to know about your business?
- How’s your search engine ranking? According to Search Engine Journal, 93% of all Internet traffic comes from a search engine. Redesigning your site with SEO in mind will ensure that potential customers can find you online.
- Do your pages load fast enough? According to KISSmetrics, 47% of consumers expect a web page to load in two seconds or less and 40% of people will abandon a website that takes more than three seconds to load.
- Does your website encourage social media interaction? Again, from Search Engine Journal, 41% of businesses are winning customers through social media channels.
If for any of the reasons mentioned above you believe that it’s time to redesign your website, here are some tools and options to help accomplish the task.
If YOU Want to Redesign Your Own Website
We recommend beginning with a self-hosted WordPress website (downloaded from WordPress.org and installed on a paid hosting account). That gives you the foundation, the engine that will make your website functional. Then to make it look great, add one of the elegant, easily customized, business website themes from iThemes.com. We’ve been using these products to design websites for years now so can easily vouch for their quality, ease of use, and excellent customer support.
Recommended Website Hosting Providers
- Affordable Business Hosting – Zero To Sixty Marketing’s ‘Done For You’ Comprehensive Hosting Solution
Website Design and Graphic Resources
- www.istockphoto.com – Get 10 free photo credits when you follow this link.
If You Want Help with Your Website Redesign
We offer a variety of packages, beginning with a 15 minute design and usability review of your existing website for only $25. Contact Shari today to get started!
Or for a comprehensive review and report to improve your website performance, we offer a full Website Diagnostic Check. This includes an 11 point inspection of your website, social media tactical analysis, backlink assessment, and competition analysis. Follow the link to learn more.
If you’ve found this helpful and are not yet a subscriber to the Inside Line, make sure you sign up today!
DISCLOSURE: I may be an affiliate for products that I recommend. If you purchase those items through my links I will earn a commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link. In fact, I oftentimes am able to negotiate a lower rate (or bonuses) not available elsewhere.
Plus, when you order through my link, it helps me to continue to offer you lots of free stuff. Thank you, in advance for your support!